What to Bring
IIAR Adult Unit
As a multiple addictions treatment center, the Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery strives to provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for all. To that end we limit access to activities and items we feel may trigger relapse issues for any of our patients.
The following is a suggested list of things for you to bring:
- The IIAR recommends that you do not keep more than $10 dollars cash with you at any given time while a patient on the unit. We have a safe if you need to bring more than $10 dollars with you but the IIAR will not be responsible.
- Prepaid calling card
- Clothes for a one week stay
- Patients are expected to dress modestly. Shirts should be as plain as possible. No insignias depicting alcoholic/drug/nicotine symbols, gambling symbols, offensive language, or artwork. Shorts must be of appropriate length. Clothing should in tact and not be revealing in nature. Tank tops, tube tops, sleeveless shirts, shirts revealing a bare midriff cannot be worn.
- Tennis shoes
- Shoes and socks must be worn at all times.
- Sweat clothes
- Robe & Pajamas
- Robe (of appropriate length) and pajamas are only allowed to and from the shower.
- Alarm Clock
- Clock radios are O.K. as long as the volume is kept at an appropriate level. If it can be heard at the nurse’s station, it’s too loud.
- Warm Jacket
- Personal care items
- These items should be kept to the bare minimum due to space limitations. Aerosols, mouthwashes that contain alcohol, perfumes/colognes are not allowed.
- Laundry detergent
- Washer and Dryer available.
Due to space limitations we will not store items for patients. Some items like razors will be kept at the nurse’s station and will need to be signed out and in.
Sunglasses, hats, caps, and other head coverings are not allowed to be worn on the unit.
No personal reading material of any kind is allowed. This includes the Bible. You will be provided with enough work to keep you busy and focused on addiction and recovery issues.
Cell phones, I-Pods or any I-Pod like devices with a screen or Internet capabilities, laptops, pagers, Video players/recorders, Hand held computers, PDA’s, organizers, games, cards, dice, and outside videos are prohibited. If there are items that you are unsure about please ask your counselor for direction.
Additional items may be added to this list on an as needed basis. Items left behind at discharge will be disposed of if not claimed within ten (10) business days.